Today, I want to introduce you to this delicious Plant-Based Chocolate Mousse made with tofu. Why? Honestly, I think this might be tofu’s biggest flex. Tofu can literally replace eggs in scrambles and chicken in my favorite Asian dishes and now chocolate mousse!
Tofu is an incredibly versatile food. It takes up the favor of your seasonings and added flavors.
If you haven’t tried tofu yet, this mousse can be your gateway introduction to it.
The blended tofu provides a creamy and airy base.
Tofu is commonly a point of debate whether it’s the GMOs or the estrogen. Research has so far not found GMOs to be harmful to human health.
If you’re worried about GMOs, there are non-GMO tofu brands.
Soy contributing to feminizing in men is another myth that has been debunked but continues to circulate within the interwebs.
Tofu is a high-protein food that contains all of the essential amino acids. This makes soy one of the only plant sources that are a complete protein. It also provides fats, carbs, and a variety of vitamins and minerals.
Okay, enough talk, grab a block of tofu, and whip this up for dessert this evening.
Plant-Based Chocolate Mousse with Berries
- 8 ounce tofu, drained
- ¾ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh berries
- Fresh mint, whipped cream (optional)
- Place the tofu in a blender or food processor. Blend until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe glass bowl, add the chocolate chips, milk, and cocoa powder.
- Microwave in 30 seconds intervals, stirring in between each until the chocolate is melted (about 1½-2 minutes total)
- Add the melted chocolate mixture, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon to the tofu in the blender, blend until smooth and small air bubbles form, about 1-2 minutes.
- Refridgerate mousse in an airtight container for 1-hour.
- Serve with fresh berries and mint.